Throughout February and March, first-third graders will be learning about KINDNESS! Having KINDNESS means that we care for others. Kids will learn the who, what, when and whys of KINDNESS, using Jesus as the ultimate example! We will read several New Testament stories, including “Jesus Teaches about Anger” (Pg. 272), “The Good Samaritan” (Pg.360), “Jesus Blesses the Children” (Pg. 328) and “Saul to Paul” (Pg. 514).
God's Kids in Action... At Home
GodZone is just one small part of your child’s faith journey. You can help support your child’s faith formation by bringing the GodZone lessons to life at home each week.
Here are some ideas for the next few weeks:
- Make your own “kindness calculator” and record acts of kindness that you see in your home throughout the next couple of weeks!
- Research “Random Acts of Kindness” and come up with a few things you can do for others as a family (For example, pay for the person behind you at the drive-thru, leave an anonymous note for a teacher, etc.)
- Give your child recognition when you see him or her do something kind for someone else
- Come up with an action plan for how to deal with anger (For example, counting backward slowly from ten before speaking or acting)
- Discuss as a family some ideas for how you can help others in need (For example, donate to the Food Shelf, help a friend if they fall and get hurt, etc.)
- Read some more stories about Jesus to see more examples of how Jesus treats others with kindness! (Suggestions: Bartimaeus Sees, Ten Men Healed, Pool of Siloam, Last Supper)
- As a family, share words of encouragement or compliments for each other. See if you can list 5 kind things about each family member!
- Come up with a list of movie or book characters who had a change of heart, and learned how to be kind! (Example: Gru from Despicable Me, the Beast from Beauty and the Beast, etc.)