Haiti 2019: How to Get Involved
Since 2012, Shepherd of the Valley has taken groups of youth and adults to Haiti with Haiti Outreach, a non-profit organization focusing on long-term development strategies (vs. short-term relief) for rural areas of Haiti in which potable water is not available or easily accessible. Haiti Outreach promotes sustainability in all aspects of their work ranging from creating clean water wells and systems to building and operating public schools. Their mission is to collaborate with the people of Haiti to build and maintain community-initiated projects that advance their development.
How can I get involved?
Join SOTV’s inaugural Haiti Steering Committee
- Help shape the mission and focus of our church’s partnership with Haiti Outreach.
- Familiarize yourself with Haitian history, culture, and the country’s current milieu.
- Learn more about long-term development strategies through the example of Haiti Outreach in order to create and engage in sustainable community development in our own community.
- Contribute and collaborate with others to help raise awareness about SOTV’s partnership with Haiti Outreach within SOTV and the greater community.
- In its inaugural year, the committee will meet once a quarter:
- Thursday, April 5 from 6:30 – 7:30 pm
- Thursday, June 28 from 6:30 – 7:30pm
- Thursday, September 27 from 6:30 – 7:30 pm
- Thursday, January 24 from 6:30 – 7:30 pm
- Interested? Contact Sarah Bane at email@example.com or 952.985.7362.
Travel to Haiti
- All ages 10+ are invited to join the SOTV sponsored trip on March 22 - 31, 2019
- Approximate cost: $2,200
- Attend an informational meeting: Thursday, April 5 from 7:30 – 8:30 pm or Monday, April 9 from 6:30 – 7:30 pm
- To hold a spot on the trip, turn in a deposit by: October 1, 2018
- Turn in deposit online by clicking here.
Haiti Travel Resources
Going to Haiti is not your normal “mission trip!” We’ll participate in service work, but our main goals are to experience God’s presence in the people and culture of Haiti, learn more about sustainable community development by visiting Haiti Outreach development sites and participating in facilitated discussion, share what we’ve learned when we return home, and grow in our faith as we journey together.
This is not a luxury vacation or tour; we’ll travel primarily by walking or riding in the back of a pick-up truck, while staying in Haiti Outreach’s guest house. This is a great opportunity for participants to experience life in another culture and build life-changing relationships with our brothers and sisters in Haiti. A trip to Haiti could turn your life upside down—in a good way! If you sense the spirit rumbling around inside you and feel a call to Haiti, by all means answer it and consider yourself invited!
Our group of ambassadors will consist of 15 people:
- 13 SOTV members: ages 10+ may come with a parent; must be 16+ to attend unaccompanied by a parent
- Sarah Bane, SOTV Youth Director
- 1 Haiti Outreach staff person
Travel Applications are available here: Haiti Info Packet & Travel Applications, in the Children, Youth, & Family Office, or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- April 5, 7:30 - 8:30 pm
Informational meeting option 1 for any interested participants
- April 9, 6:30 - 7:30 pm
Informational meeting option 2 for any interested participants
- October 1
Travel Applications + $500 deposit due to hold spot
- October 1
A minimum of 6 participants needed by this date for trip to happen
- December 16, Noon - 1:00 pm
Pre-trip meeting and $500 due
- December 31
Final deadline for applications
- February 10
- March 17, Noon - 1:00 pm
Final pre-trip meeting (remaining balance due, fundraising and scholarships applied to this payment)
- March 22 - 31
- April TBD
Haiti trip reunion
*Students in grades 6 - 12 interested in fundraising credits should reference the Summer Trip Book for more information.