Join us in journeying to Pignon, Haiti March 23-31, 2018 with Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church and Haiti Outreach. Participants will learn more about Haitian culture, their own faith, build lasting relationships, and participate in sustainable community development projects with Haiti Outreach.
Approximate cost is $2,200/traveler
Our group of ambassadors will consist of 15 people:
- 13 SOTV members: ages 10+ may come with a parent; must be 16+ to attend unaccompanied by a parent
- Sarah Bane, SOTV Youth Director
- 1 Haiti Outreach staff person
This is not your normal “mission trip!” We’ll participate in service work, but our main goals are to experience God’s presence in the people and culture of Haiti, learn more about sustainable community development by visiting Haiti Outreach development sites and participating in facilitated discussion, share what we’ve learned when we return home, and grow in our faith as we journey together.
This is also not a luxury vacation or tour; we’ll travel primarily by walking or riding in the back of a pick-up truck, while staying in Haiti Outreach’s guest house. This is a great opportunity for participants to experience life in another culture and build life-changing relationships with our brothers and sisters in Haiti. A trip to Haiti could turn your life upside down—in a good way! If you sense the spirit rumbling around inside you and feel a call to Haiti, by all means answer it – consider yourself invited! Mon dye va beniou! (Haitian Creole for God bless you!)
- Aug - Oct / Travel Applications are available in the Children, Youth & Family Office
- Sep 10, 12-1pm / Informational meeting interested participants
- Oct 10 / Travel Applications + $500 deposit due to hold spot (minimum of 6 participants needed by this date for trip to happen)*
- Dec 17, Noon-1pm / Pre-trip meeting and $500 due
- Dec 31 / Final deadline for applications
- Feb 1 / $500 due
- Mar 18, 12-1pm / Final pre-trip meeting (remaining balance due)
- Mar 23-31 / In Haiti
- Apr TBD / Haiti trip reunion
*Students in grades 6-12 interested in fundraising credits should reference the online Summer Trip Book for more information (available after September 20, 2017).