Posted: June 04, 2018
By Kari Slotten
Director of Ministry
Many of us have a love/hate relationship with technology. We love real-time news and information, instant and easy communication, and entertainment on demand; we can also feel overwhelmed with the large quantity of information, concerned with our privacy, and more isolated than ever, despite hundreds of online friends. Whether we like it or not, this ever-evolving technology seems here to stay.
So, why do we care about this at church? For centuries, our Christian mission has stayed the same. We are called to “love the Lord your God” (Matthew 22:37), to “love your neighbor as yourself” (Matthew 22:39), and to “therefore go and make disciples of all nations” (Matthew 28:19). We, like Christians before us, have had to adapt the way we live out our call to the changing world around us. The technologies available to us today give us new ways to love God, love each other, and spread the Good News.
Throughout the month of June, we’ll be talking about – and practicing – using technology at church. We’ll see new ways to love God, like reading scripture on the screen or on your phone, and giving electronically through our new app. We’ll introduce our new database and online ministry tool called Realm, to see new ways to connect to and care for each other. We’ll also test new ways of sharing our faith with others by “checking in” to worship on Facebook. Some of these ideas may be outside of your comfort zone, but we hope you’ll be open to considering new ideas and then applying what makes sense for you.
What’s next? Watch for an invitation to join Realm (should have been in your email on May 29). Learn more about Realm and our plans for June in the following weekly blog posts. And please pray for God to guide our church as we seek new ways to love and serve God in the world today.
If you have any questions, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 952.985.7356.
June is Technology Month!
On Saturdays and Sundays from June 2 - 17, we’ll invite you to:
Log in to Realm
- Download the Realm app for SOTV called “Connect –Our Church Community” by ACS Technologies (from the app store tied to your mobile device: Apple Store, Google Play)
- Consider one-time or recurring giving, or text to give.
- Take selfies or ask a volunteer to take your photo (there will be an area with lighting and a backdrop in the atrium, but anywhere is fine).
- Update your profile information (make sure we have correct contact information, choose your privacy settings, and upload your photo).
- Connect with your groups, or find new groups to join.
- Get assistance from a volunteer! Just look for someone with a red name tag.