Hope In Hard Times (2017)

Submitted by Bob Lange (2017) –

In the early summer of 2008, I became septic from a diabetic foot ulcer. I was very, very ill. I was in the ICU and then a nursing home with intravenous antibiotics for a couple of months. The infection in my foot would not heal and finally at the end of summer, I had my right foot amputated. I again was in the nursing home for recovery and physical therapy. I learned to walk again with prosthesis. Needless to say, it was a difficult time. My faith in God was strong and I always believed he was there with me. In addition to the great medical care, I had the prayers and support of my family, friends and church. They all gave me the hope to overcome this.

Five years later in October of 2013, my daughter got married. I was so happy and proud to walk her down the aisle. It was a wonderful time with family and friends. A week after the wedding, I had a doctor appointment to have my throat checked. I had been having problems swallowing. I did some research on the internet before the appointment, and was very nervous. I remember clearly when the doctor told me I had stage 3 esophageal cancer. I knew it was very serious and had known a couple of people that had this type of cancer, and they did not survive. I asked the doctor if I was going to make it through the cancer and treatment and he said my chances were 50/50. Again, I turned to my faith in God, my medical team, and my family and friends for support.

I had three months of chemotherapy and radiation treatments followed by surgery where they removed 70% of my esophagus and 20% of my stomach. I had complications following the surgery, and was in the ICU for two weeks. I then was in a nursing home for recovery. I was bed ridden, had to learn to walk again and was fed through a stomach tube for 7 months. Then I had to learn how to eat again. It was definitely a “tough time” in my life.

At one time I had a very vivid dream. I dreamed I was visited by Jesus himself. A very warm, friendly man. Dressed in a gray shark-skin suit. He just dropped by to see how I was doing and to give his blessing. Letting me know I would be fine. We talked a lot about my family, and then he left and went on to his next meeting.

Fast forward 3 1/2 years to today. While I currently have some other health issues, I am happy to report that I am cancer free. I am so grateful to God, my family, friends, SOTV pastors, physicians and nurses. They are the members of my “care team,” and I could not have done it without them!

Leave a Reply